Question: 6 month Mirena user bleeding after sex

sigspecial - Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:37 pm

I have had a Mirena in place for over 6 months and I had light but regular periods for the first 3 months. Then I had sporadic spotting. However, in the past 4 months, each time I have sex (about once a week to once every two weeks) I begin a round of bleeding. At first it was light, but last month it was quite heavy after one session and I had a number of dime - nickel sized clots.

Sometimes it's only a brownish discharge (that has an odor) or other times I have a very light red color discharge most times for about a week.

This has never happened to me before the Mirena insertion. Do you have any explaination?

Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:15 pm

These are side effects that should be reported to your doctor. It is not serious since bleeding between periods is common in the first six months, but the doctor should be made aware of the reaction you are having.