Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: vulvadynia?? painfull, uncomfortable, occured overnight

 sazzyfizz - Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:36 am

vulvodynia.....?? ive read up on some of the questions already asked and the closest thing iv found is vulvodynia... i don't no much about this and im not even sure if thats wat i have some of the women that commented on this have been experiencing pain and symptoms 4 a long enough period of time but mine has only been recently.... a few days ( 26 dec) . its seems 2 have started after i has sex that night. i have a clear discharge to, more than usual it hasn't really got a bad odour. there is a certain part that hurts more than the rest in my inner vulva. its extremly painfull at times especially after urinating. I i atempted 2 see if there was anythin up there and it felt different like my vagina was a differnent shape than usual, there was a bigger lump. its all happened really quikly (overnight). i also have had a slight spotting but think that was probably from shaving??? im worried and don't no how serious this is.... is there any cream or over the counter medicine i could try?? im really don't want to do the doctors i no i should but im scared :( please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:53 pm

User avatar Hello Sazzyfizz,

Vulvodynia is a term that inidicates pain of the vulva (dynia indicates pain). So, technically speaking, what you are describing does fit into the term vulvodynia. However, this is not a diagnosis in itself, only a symptom. Given the rapid onset and the occurrence after intercourse, I am concerned that you may have a sexually transmitted disease (STD).

I would strongly recommend you see your doctor or visit a clinic to be tested. If you prefer, there are often anonymous health clinics for STD testing. Your local health department can help locate these for you. I would also suggest not using home treatments at this point since for many STD's, home treatments are not effective and could potentially make the diagnosis harder to determine.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us