Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Why is my period late? Nuvaring, PCOS, Antibiotics?

sre1976 - Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:26 am

Hello,

I have been on Nuvaring for 2 years and I love it. In late October, I went to my doctor for my yearly exam (results were fine). While there, I had an ingrown hair on my bikini line that had absesed. My doctor put me on Bactrim and a Sulfa drug and took a culture to test for MRSA which was negative. I had a period in early November (right after the pap smear) and was supposted to replace the Nuvaring a week later. Unfortunatly, I forgot to do so and I figured that I would wait for my period to start in December...it never came. I took a pregnancy test when my period was one week late, it was negative. I took another one when it was three weeks late and it was also negative. I am now a month late and I am getting very nervous.

I am 32 years old, I am healthy and only slightly overweight. As I mentioned, I have been on Nuvaring for 2 years and on Ortho Tri Cyclean and Tryphasel for the proceeding years since age 17. I was diagonsed with PCOS in 2000 but haven't really spoken to my doctor about it in a long time as I am not trying to have a baby and with my birth control, my period has been very regular.

Any advise that you could give me would be so appreciated. I will make an appointment to see my doctor but her office is very busy and I'm sure I won't get in for a couple of weeks.

Thank you in advance!

S
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is quite normal to sometimes miss a period so unless this continues, I would not be overly concerned. Chances are your periods will return and having had pregnancy tests to reassure you, try to relax. If you miss two periods in a row you should contact your doctor - perhaps ask the doctor to return your call at his/her convenience. You may not need to be seen right away.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us