Question: Why is my period late? Nuvaring, PCOS, Antibiotics?

sre1976 - Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:26 am

I have been on Nuvaring for 2 years and I love it. In late October, I went to my doctor for my yearly exam (results were fine). While there, I had an ingrown hair on my bikini line that had absesed. My doctor put me on Bactrim and a Sulfa drug and took a culture to test for MRSA which was negative. I had a period in early November (right after the pap smear) and was supposted to replace the Nuvaring a week later. Unfortunatly, I forgot to do so and I figured that I would wait for my period to start in December...it never came. I took a pregnancy test when my period was one week late, it was negative. I took another one when it was three weeks late and it was also negative. I am now a month late and I am getting very nervous.

I am 32 years old, I am healthy and only slightly overweight. As I mentioned, I have been on Nuvaring for 2 years and on Ortho Tri Cyclean and Tryphasel for the proceeding years since age 17. I was diagonsed with PCOS in 2000 but haven't really spoken to my doctor about it in a long time as I am not trying to have a baby and with my birth control, my period has been very regular.

Any advise that you could give me would be so appreciated. I will make an appointment to see my doctor but her office is very busy and I'm sure I won't get in for a couple of weeks.

Thank you in advance!

S
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:57 pm

It is quite normal to sometimes miss a period so unless this continues, I would not be overly concerned. Chances are your periods will return and having had pregnancy tests to reassure you, try to relax. If you miss two periods in a row you should contact your doctor - perhaps ask the doctor to return your call at his/her convenience. You may not need to be seen right away.