Question: Nipple sensitivity

Lizzy212 - Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:40 pm

I am a 40 year old woman and for the past several years I have experienced, off and on, extreme nipple sensitivity to the point that I don't even enjoy being touched by my husband during sex, unless I am already very aroused. By sensitive I mean even the slightest touch will make me flinch and at times it becomes almost painful, even to my own touch. This happens at any time during my cycle and I am not on birth control pills. Two years ago I lost 35 pounds and the nipple sensitivity went away (to my husbands delight), but I have since gained the weight back and the sensitivity is a problem again. I feel this has something to do with it, I'm just not sure if the cause is emotional or physical. What could be causing this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:40 pm

I have not encountered a phenomenon such as this with a nipple sensitivity and weight association. If it is psychological, it is conceivable that you could eliminate it with weight loss. This would be in your favor from a health standpoint anyway so what do you have to lose? OK, weight - and pain....

If this does not do the trick, perhaps seeing a therapist would be a good place to start. Your doctor might be able to come up with an idea as well. Hormonal changes (estrogen and progesterone) can result in breast sensitivity and you could be approaching perimenopause. These are things to discuss with your doctor.

Chances are this is nothing to worry about except for how it interferes with your comfort.