Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: masterbating for months, no period, brown discharge

reignfromfrance - Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:04 am

Im 17 I usually have irregular periods like sometimes I only have my periods every other month. I've been masterbating for atleast 3 months, using my hands or a hair brush handle. I havent had my period since Oct. 2008, and now I notice I have brown discharge with some small chunks like when you have your period. I don't have a fever though so I don't think its a pelvic inflammation?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:17 am

User avatar Hello,
At your age it is especially normal to have irregular periods. It is possible you are not ovulating every month. Hormones can take a while to become regulated (if they ever do). Brown discharge usually means old blood. It may be you have not passed the blood from your period and after it sits a while, you finally expel it. I don't believe this has anything to do with the masturbation unless you have injured your vagina from rough action. I would watch and see if additional symptoms develop but I suspect this will resolve on its own.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us