Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Pregnancy?

Sparcas - Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:30 pm

I've just had unprotected sex with my girlfriend.
We're both 20 years of age. She has had a miscarriage approx. 6 months ago.

She is currently on the pill, but i do have certain doubts whether she is taking it properly.
The sex lasted about an hour or two, and i had a little too much to drink.

I was informed that the pill, taken correctly, is up to 99.9% effective.
If the pill was not taken correctly what are the odds against me?

If any more details are needed, please reply.
 fl cat - Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:46 pm

It depends on a few things. 1. The 99.9% is labartory setting, same time everyday ect.. In the real world I think it is closer to 95 to 97%. 2. Your odds depend on how she has been taking them, where she is in her cycle, even other medications she may have taken. So no one can say for sure what your odds are. What makes you think she may not be taking them properly?
 Sparcas - Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:33 am

Perhaps i'm just being paranoid, though she seemed reluctant to discuss any real details on the pill, just that she was taking it, and everything should be fine. I shouldn't have to worry, but the thought of a having a child right now, would frighten almost any 20 year old.

I guess another options to enforce birth control, would be to use condoms as well.
Of course there's always abstinence...

Thanks for your input.
 fl cat - Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:44 am

You should use a backup, like a condom. Nothing is 100%, even when taken correctly.
 fl cat - Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:45 am

You should use a backup, like a condom. Nothing is 100%, even when taken correctly.
 Sparcas - Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:50 am

Abstinence is 100% ...but u can't have sex while performing abstinence. :lol:

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us