Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Birth Control/Pregnancy

Wildstreak - Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:35 pm

I'm asking this question for a nagging man friend of mine. His girlfriend stopped taking birth control pills about 3 months ago after being on them for around 2 years. They have had unprotected sex many times and she has not had a period in the last 3 months. Her last period was right after she stopped taking the pill. She has taken many at home pregnancy tests that all come up negative and she does not have any pregnancy symptoms other than no period for the last 3 months. He wants to know if it is normal for her to of not had a period for this long and not be pregnant. I've told him to get her to go to the doctor, but she won't go I guess. So any advice I could relay onto him would be appreciated. Thanks.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:50 pm

User avatar Hi!

A negative pregnancy test is usually dependable. But if the person is still in doubts, one can check the blood for the pregnancy hormone to see if it's elevated. In any case, a visit to the doctor's office would be the best thing to clarify the cause.

bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us