Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: blood filled bump in pubic area! advice please!

 mommy2agirl - Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 am

Thank you ahead of time for you help! I have shaved my pubic area for years and I have always gotten a few ingrown hairs nothing bad, I would pop them and they would go away or just go way on there own. The last time a shaved, about 3 weeks ago, I got what seemed like another ingrown hair, rather this time it felt different. I didn’t pop it thinking like the rest it would just go away, but it hasn’t. It’s a small bump but if you squeeze it, it feels bigger underneath and it hurts a little. Its full of blood as well, well today I finally popped it and blood came out of it, and now since I popped it looks like two bumps. I haven’t had any problems like this before & when I had my daughter in 07, I had to have a std test done and it was clear, I was std free! I have slept with the same person (and only person I have been with) twice since then, so I highly doubt it’s a std because it would have shown up my now, since the last time I had sex with the person was july. I don’t have insurance and I wanted to know how I could take care of this without going to the dr.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:51 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is probably an infected hair follicle or sebacious cyst that has become irritated. It will likely heal on its own but you might get relief with warm, moist compresses (wet a washcloth and press it on the area, replacing when it cools with another warm one). In a few days it will probably get well. If it seems the infection is getting worse or you develop a fever, see a doctor.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us