Question: Gynecologist confedentiality

leslie11 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Im turning 16 in about a month and have an apppointment with a gynecologist about a week before this appointment. Im sexually active but I don't want my mother to know. If I called the doctor ahead of time and say im sexually active but when I have my appointment Im going to say im not sexually active because my mother is in the room. Will the doctor keep my info confedential even if im still 15?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Yes, in these matters confidentiality is expected so if your mother insists on being with you, your doctor should either ask her to leave you alone for part of the exam (with a medical assistant in the room) or the plan you presented is a possibility. By letting the office know ahead of the appointment that you have this concern, they can be extra sensitive about it.