Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: allergic reaction with eye swelling, only before period

zahrahz - Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:04 pm

have a similar problem to RachelH. ive noticed that if i consume shrimp, pineapple, eggplant, or ibuprofen the week before my period, my eyes swell up. the very first time i had it, it was really bad. thereafter i've had a very mild reaction to any of these foods, always ONLY the week before my period. i can eat these foods any other time, and i will be fine. however, yesterday i took a PPD skin test for TB (for compliance as i'm a grad student working in a hospital lab) and i had eggplant for dinner. my eyes swelled shut about two-three hours after, extremely badly. i took two benadryl capsules and the reaction stopped, but the swelling is subsiding only slowly. i think my throat swelled up slightly too, because it felt like i had a lump in my throat when i swallowed. this is the worst reaction ive had since the first time it happened...when i was about 13. i'm 25 now, and the problem is, this is NOT the week before my period. i finished my period about two weeks ago. do you think my immune system was vulnerable after taking the TB test? or do you think that it was the eggplant, and now the allergic reaction is not isolated to the week before my period? i also had a lime juice in the three hours between eating the eggplant and my eyes swelling up. the eye swelling is the ONLY symptom i ever show, it was just that this time was the absolute worst reaction i've had, with the slight throat constriction.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:44 am

User avatar Hi zahrahz,
I don't think that your immune system was vulnerable due to the PPD test. However, since you had a reaction not long after that there could very well be a relationship between it and your allergic type reaction. As for the foods you consumed, if there is an allergy to any of them it would affect you at any time of the month not just a week before your cycle. I would be more inclined to consider a relationship to something else that you are being exposed to rather than those particular foods and consider it to just could be a coincidence that it is after eating them and that particular week.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us