Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: bleeding & clotting again 2 weeks after d&c

Lily2 - Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:01 pm

I had a d&c on 12/22. I am 44 & healthy. My Mom went through menopause at 42. I have a history of infertility in my 20's although I had 2 healthy babies using Clomid and Folistim at 25 and 35.

In the summer of 2008 I skipped a period and then had 2 heavier periods with cramping for which I had to take Advil. My "normal" cycle was always 24-26 days and light with little or no cramping. I had an ultrasound on 9/08 that showed a tiny polyp and some abnormal endometrial contour, however, my periods were back to "normal" at this time. In December I spotted for a week and then bled for 2 weeks (3 pads per day) with clotting which was about the size of a nickel to a quarter when laying at the bottom of the toilet bowl for lack of better description. I had the d&c which went fine-pathology showed simple hyperplasia of lining, no atypical cells or cancer. Dr. indicated that I would probably not get a period for 4-6 weeks, however, 2 weeks and 3 days later I have started a period which is heavier (should define for me that "heavier" is 3 pads per day compared to 1 in the past). Also have clots at the bottom of the toilet again today...this is day 3 of this period. The dr. prescribed Provera to start 1/25 for 10 days and every 28 days after that for 6 months with an endometrial biopsy at 3 mos. I have an apt. scheduled with another md, this one female, specializing in hormone replacement as I would prefer to use natural vs. synthetic. The 1st dr. didn't see a need to test my hormones whereas the new dr. will do saliva testing and check thyroid as well. My concern is that this appt. is not until 1/23 and do I need to be seen if this period does not "stop" as it normally should. I am taking a vitamin with iron and eat a healthy diet. I have been highly emotional this week with tears for no reason, so I can only imagine what is going on hormonally. Any advice appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:20 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am quite confident this is hormonal fluctuation. Each woman is different and this would not be alarming unless the amount of blood loss becomes excessive (soaking a pad every hour for several hours). You should be fine to wait for your appointment.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us