Question: Colposcopy vs Re-Pap?

SallyJ - Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 pm

In June I returned my first abnormal pap, which showed ASCUS and HPV positive cells. I have since had the first two Guardasil shots and an scheduled for the third next month. As a result of the abnormal pap, my gynecologist decided I should have a colposcopy done, but she has canceled all of my appointments for the past six months for varying reasons, so I have found a different gynecologist. I have incredibly minimal insurance, so I will be paying for whatever procedure I have done in full (and I am a college student)-- so I was wondering if perhaps I should get a new pap done in the case that a colposcopy is an expensive procedure and perhaps would not be necessary. However, since there were HPV + cells, won't the pap just come back irregular again and thus require me to get a colposcopy anyway? Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:35 pm

I don't see that you have anything to lose by repeating the pap. Sometimes there are differing results and since you've already been six months, I see no harm. However, if this continues to be abnormal you should get the follow up testing.