Question: BLEEDING AFTER SUBTOTAL HYSTERECTOMY

mares - Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:38 am

I had a subtotal hysterectomy at age 44 and recovered extremely well and quickly. When it comes to "that time of the month" I have symptoms of period, i e. sore breasts sometimes, water retention and BLEEDING. It first appears as a bloody discharge and when I go to urinate I see drops of blood. This only lasts for about 2 days but happens every month. This has been going on for 2 years now. Should this be something to worry about ?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Since your ovaries were left intact, your hormonal function is continuing. You don't need to worry about birth control but the fluctuation that comes with the female hormone balancing act will continue. Had your ovaries been removed (total hysterectomy) you would have been immediately put into surgical menopause. As it is, you will gradually enter menopause naturally, will experience the same hormonal drops and side effects which may or may not require intervention depending on the severity for you.

You should continue to have regular exams with your physician to monitor your ovaries, breasts, etc. since age does increase the odds of problems in these areas.