Question: irregular menstral bleeding

aidan - Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:42 pm

i am concerned about my girlfriend's menstral bleeding.
she is on the pill and has been for a substancial length of time.
in her current cycle she got her period at the regular time(about 3 weeks ago now), but then again started bleeding a about week later and has since been bleeding for a solid week. can this be normal?

-she is not on any new medications/pill, nor has she ceased any medications recently

-when unregulated by the pill she generally has heavy painful cycles which being on the pill has generally regulated and lessened in the past.

thank you
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:13 pm

Stress, exercise, dieting or a change in lifestyle can all affect the regularity of the menstrual cycle. Is this the first time she has complained of this? Every once in a while a cycle can be closer, farther or even missed. Normally a cycle could last anything between 3-7 days.

aidan - Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:26 pm

yes this is the first time she has complained of this.
that likely explains it..
she is currently overseas in a very different environment to home; therefore
has experienced vast changes in lifestyle and considerable stress.

thank you for your time
 aidan - Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:34 pm

update...
bleeding is still ongoing and she is drawing near to next period,
will the pill still be working as active birth control or should we look into alternative/additional birth control ?
thanks
 chinalm - Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:21 pm

I'm concerned about my cycle I've been bleeding a total of 3 weeks. The 1st week it would only come down when I used the restroom. The 2nd week it was pretty heavy @ the beggining then towards the end of the week only when I had to use the bathroom. This 3rd week I've been spotting and when I use the restroom it comes down more then what it should for a 3rd week. This has never happened to me before I've always been normal. I'm wondering what could it be? I am 25 never been pregnant or irregular in my life. Is this a serious issue? Thank you so much for you time and response