Question: Thick, brown, stringy discharge lasting for one month

michellebean - Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:59 pm

I am 23 years old, not sexually active and just went off the pill 5 months ago. For the past month I have been experiencing a dark brown/black discharge that is very thick and sticky and stringy. Some stomach pain (not nausea), weight loss and occasionally painful breasts. I have fibromyalgia and I know that irregular periods are common. My last "regular" period was about 2 months ago. Any suggestions? I have a gyn appointment in 2 weeks and I want to know what questions to ask. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:36 pm

This is not alarming but be sure to give your doctor the history in detail. There are no guarantees you can get a regular, reliable period but menstrual fluid consists of more than just blood. The body cleanses the uterus monthly of unneeded tissue as well as blood. Also, if it remains for a while, it becomes somewhat clotted (stringy even) and dark in color. Hormone regulation may help but I would see what the doctor suggests based on examination.