Question: Yaz & Period Regulation

CB27 - Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:55 am

I am 25 and have been taking Yaz for acne for the last 7 months. I keep getting my period about 7-10 days before the active pill ends (yaz only has 4 sugar pills). My period is coming about every 25-30 days but I get it early before the sugar pills start, then it switches from light-moderate throughout the pill days and then a little more heavier for the sugar pill days. Basically b/c I consistently get my period early (or it hasn't been regulated well enough to the pill cycle) I keep having about 2 week periods. What should I do to help regulate my period so it matches up with the Yaz sugar pill days? Should I stop and go directly to the sugar pills next month when I get my period so it can 'restart' in a sense and my period will be on track with sugar pills and thus not be so long. (I am not sexually active, so there is no risk in getting pregnant). Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:24 pm

You should take the pill as directed, regardless of the periods and/or breakthrough bleeding. But, you should notify your prescribing physician in case he/she wants to change the formula of pill you are using. While this is a common technique for regulating periods it does not always work perfectly.