Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Possible microperforate hymen, symptoms?

 systematic - Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:38 pm

I am concerned I may have a microperforate hymen. I am unable to use a tampon and have recently tried to have sex with my boyfriend and found it difficult. I realise this is normal, but it seemed to be different from the usual descriptions of first-time problems, and I am worried that there might be something more serious causing it than normal nervousness.
After reading a little about the condition, I realised that this could perhaps be what is wrong, having had trouble finding the opening in my vagina all my life, i simply put it down to inexperience and awkwardness.

I have not been to see a doctor, as i have only recently become aware of the possiblity of this condition, and have only recently become sexually active.

Is there any way I can find out if these problems stem from nervousness and tension, or if I could genuinely have a microperforate hymen? Or would you recommend I see a doctor?

Thank you, I hope you can help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes, I would recommend you see your doctor as this problem can be easily repaired. If that is not the problem, the doctor can make sure everything else is OK. Once you become mature, especially with sexual activity, it is very important to have annual pelvic exams. You should also discuss birth control, safer sex practices and any other concerns with your doctor.

If there is another problem such as vaginismus, you might benefit from therapy as well. Again, your doctor can be quite helpful. Make sure you see someone you are comfortable talking to. A proper diagnosis of the problem is the first step to becoming comfortable with your sexuality without further aggravating any psychological problems that may be present. Feeling like you are not successful here may make you even more reluctant to attempt intercourse so the sooner you get this checked out the better.

Also, don't underestimate the value of being psychologically ready for sex. Sometimes this means a safe and secure, committed relationship, lots of preparation (foreplay, affection, etc.) and lubrication. Too often people expect to just jump into it without enough of what makes it special. This may come from the media where entire relationships begin and end in a 60 minute slot on TV. This is not reality.

Best wishes.
 systematic - Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Thank you for your advice, I saw my school nurse today and have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to get checked out.

I do understand the psycological effects of possibly having this condition, and of sex itself, and after looking into the hymenectomy procedure I feel a lot more comfortable and at ease.

Again, thanks for your help.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us