Question: Infected Gland

HB23 - Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:32 pm

About three months ago I was diagnosed with an infected vaginal gland. It was in the area between my vagina and rectum (perinium?) The doctor did not run any tests, just prescribed me flagyl and it cleared up in a couple of days. How common is this kind of problem and should I be bothered that the doctor did not take any cultures. At first I thought maybe it was an infected bartholin gland, but I have been told that those are on the lips of the vagina and again this infection was in the perinum area. In fact, at first I thought it was my hemrroids that were causing the pain. A couple days before I began feeling the pain, I received oral sex. Could this be what caused the infection and if so, should I be concerned about HIV if I had cracking in that area due to my hemrroids and a recent pap smear? I inquired on this in the STD forum and have still not received a professional response so any advice would be helpful. I have just never had this kind of problem before, and I am curious about how common it actually is. Thank you for the advice.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:27 pm

It would be very difficult to tell exactly what you were diagnosed with. Most probably it was just an infected hair follicle or sebaceous gland.

Usually there is no need for concern if you are not diabetic or immunocompromised. The fact that they responded to an antibiotic means there is no need to worry about cultures now.