Question: miscarriage

Anonymous - Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:08 pm

Hi. last year I had a miscarriage. it was the worst day of my life.I almost died becuase of all the blood i lost. i have gotten over it,somewhat. but the problem is that my husband and i have been trying to get pregnant for the last 3 months. i have this horrible feeling that i will never be able to get pregnant. i talked to my grandmother and she said that after she hemorrhage with her fifth and finall chicld she could no longer get pregnant. and worst of all i don't have insurence to find out if there is something wrong with me.
Please help!
bethie
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:52 am

User avatar Bethie,
I don't think that you should worry about this at this stage. The miscarriage is of course a terrible experience. However, it only happened once and the fact is you have only been trying for 3 months. I think you should wait a little more before jumping to any conclusions.
Standard medical textbooks define infertility as the "failure to conceive following one year of unprotected sexual intercourse." For young and healthy heterosexual couples having frequent intercourse, about 85% will be pregnant after one year of trying and about 93% will be pregnant after two years of trying to conceive.
While this is the "classic" definition of infertility, the "current" definition is "failure to conceive following one year of unprotected intercourse if under 35 years of age or six months if over 35."