Question: Painful Penetration

Tattie - Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:30 pm

Over the past 6 weeks I have been experiencing painful penetration on the left side of my labia. It feels very much like the skin is pulling in and has got tighter across that side. This continues during sex although the pain seems to come and go for a bit (but only in the missionary position otherwise the pain gets worse). After sex I feel very swollen and sore, getting a burning sensation when I urinate or wipe myself. This pain normally goes within an hour or so.
I wanted to know if this could be an after effect of a case of thrush that I had about 8-9 weeks ago or if there is another explanation. I have had thrush once before about 3 years ago and never had any experience of this then. I have no discharge or itching and ensure I am always very wet before penetration in order to try and help the situation. I do not use lubrications in fear that it may make it worse.
I appreciate any advice or help you can give, although I would prefer it if it's not necessary for me to see a GP that you could give me advice on any over the counter creams or medications that may help.Thank You.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:18 am

I can't say if it is related to the yeast but it certainly is possible and trying over-the-counter treatment can't hurt. Look for antifungal cream such as Monistat and follow the directions exactly. If that doesn't help you will need to see a doctor since you are not having lubrication issues and with it being primarily on one side that suggests some kind of abrasion or infection at that specific spot.