Question: Spotting during pregnacy

concerned husband - Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:11 pm

My wife is 12 weeks pregnant. She called me this morning and said that when she woke up and went to the bathroom, she noticed some dark blood stains in her pajamas. She said that she had noticed that when she wiped a couple of times this week that there was some light spotting. She also stated that she has had two light cramps this morning. My question I suppose is: Since she is this far along in the pregnacy, will everything be ok?

Thanks in advance,

concerned husband
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:41 pm

User avatar The 1st trimester is filled with many symptoms, but, for some women, bleeding and spotting becomes common.

During the first weeks of conception, the fertilized egg is constantly burrowing into the soft lining of the uterus. Even after the pregnancy is confirmed, this process of implantation continues for several more days, sometimes even a week. As the egg burrows, small blood vessels can burst, causing a small amount of bleeding to occur.

This blood can take days to reach the vaginal opening. Once it does, the blood is usually brown. When women experience bleeding and spotting in the first trimester, brown blood is the most common type that they find. Brown blood can be considered "old" blood, that was most likely caused by implantation.

The most frightening type of spotting or bleeding during the first trimester is fresh blood, or bright red especially if accompanied by cramping. While this type of spotting or bleeding can be serious, it is not always confirmation that a miscarriage is occurring.

While bleeding in the 1st trimester can be common, it is important to remember that whatever type of bleeding occurs, a physician should be notified. Most physicians will closely monitor the bleeding, and may recommend bedrest in some cases.
 nhunter1 - Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:15 pm

I am 25 soon to be 26, I am 6 weeks pregnant, almost 7 according to my calendar. My 1st appointment is March 6th. Today I noticed some creamy brown discharge after I peed. So far about 4 hours or so have went by, and nothing more? Is this discharge normal? I have not engaged in intercourse or anything strenuous. All I've really been doing is sleeping, I've been real tired for 2 weeks now. I am taking my Prenatal Vitamins, eating properly and all. So could it have been old blood? If so, would could the old blood be from? Since I am past the conception stage. I am not cramping nor did I have cramps when I had the discharge. I'm just tender down there? Is that normal to be tender? Tender along with brown discharge, that is? I've contacted my obgyn, just waiting for a call back.