Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: High HCG levels after D&C

D&C levels high - Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:07 pm

I found out I was pregnant in August. At my 12 week appointment (96,000 HCG) there was no heartbeat to be found and no fetal pole just a sac. After monitoring my HCG levels for a month (they were dropping slowly) and not passing things naturally, I had a D&C. My levels the week after were 20,000, a month later 3,000 and now 1,000. It has been 2 months since the D&C. My doctor wants to wait 2 weeks before we test again.. What are some reason for such low drop??? Is a trophoblast tumor the only thing to be concerned about?? Or could there be other causes?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:15 pm

User avatar Hello,
The time it takes for levels to drop can be related to how high they were to begin with and this can vary from a few days to a few weeks. I think your doctor is on the right track and I suspect yours will continue to drop.

Best of luck in your future plans.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us