Question: Pain on my wife's stich line after 3 months of Caesarian.

nuppe - Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:25 am

Its been close to 3 months since her elective C-section (after 38 weeks of pregnancy), but my wife still is experiencing pain on her stich line (the horizontal stapler stiches). This is our 2nd baby, with the first being the normal delivery one. She didn't notice that much pain for the first 2 months, when she was almost on bed, and resting a lot. The moment her activities started from her 60th day onwards, pain also advanced gradually. Now, her stich line has light swelling also & there are two small blue color impressions/marks just above the stich line. She sufferes pain, whenever she is doing houehold activities and does even the slightest of stressful work/ remain standing for some time. Doctor has advised her warm packs at the stich line (by the use of hot-water leather bottle) & has also given some pain killers (Zinase D). Still she is not gaining any pain relief. She is worried about any blood clots, which might have occurred internally and may lead to some complications later on. Meanwhile, doctor has also suggested to have a lower-abdomen ultrasound, if the pain still remains.
I would like to know the comments of our experts on the same and if any risks are there, at all.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Patience may be all that is needed here. I have seen cases where cesarean incision pain has continued for a year following the surgery. Nobody knows exactly how a woman will respond to such invasive procedures. This is one reason it is never a good idea to elect a primary cesarean for convenience without seriously studying all the possible complications involved.

Having an ultrasound might show if there are any adhesions or signs of other problems that could cause pain - possibly even unrelated to the previous surgery. I would continue with the doctors recommendations and give it time to heal if nothing new is found.