Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Swithcing birth control pill, no period

Burke447 - Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 pm

I have been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 4 1/2 years now since I had my son. 3 months ago I switched to Yaz (not in mid-cycle). Last month I spotted when it was time to have my period and this month I have had no period.

I have been having pregnancy symptons such as, breast tender and swollen, weight gain, nausea and dizzy spells.

I took a home pregnancy test about 3 weeks ago and again a couple of days ago before my missed period, but the test showed negative. Is there still a possibility that I could be pregnant? Should I call my doctor or wait?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
If you have been taking the pill every day, chances are this is just a change in hormones due to the change in pill formulation. I would not panic and continuing to take the pill as prescribed will not hurt. Some women have very light periods while on this pill so I suspect this is the case. The hormonal changes can also cause other symptoms like you describe, as can pregnancy. If you continue to have symptoms without a period, go ahead and repeat the test for your confidence. Obviously if you stop taking the pill and you are not pregnant, you risk becoming so.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us