Question: Swithcing birth control pill, no period

Burke447 - Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 pm

I have been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 4 1/2 years now since I had my son. 3 months ago I switched to Yaz (not in mid-cycle). Last month I spotted when it was time to have my period and this month I have had no period.

I have been having pregnancy symptons such as, breast tender and swollen, weight gain, nausea and dizzy spells.

I took a home pregnancy test about 3 weeks ago and again a couple of days ago before my missed period, but the test showed negative. Is there still a possibility that I could be pregnant? Should I call my doctor or wait?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:21 pm

If you have been taking the pill every day, chances are this is just a change in hormones due to the change in pill formulation. I would not panic and continuing to take the pill as prescribed will not hurt. Some women have very light periods while on this pill so I suspect this is the case. The hormonal changes can also cause other symptoms like you describe, as can pregnancy. If you continue to have symptoms without a period, go ahead and repeat the test for your confidence. Obviously if you stop taking the pill and you are not pregnant, you risk becoming so.