Question: Adenomyosis

huberCNA - Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:27 pm

I am a 36 year old female. I am married and have two children. I was diagnosed with adenomyosis yesterday. I am in much pain and the doctor wants me to try birth control pills for one month and then go back for a follow up to see if this worked on my symptoms. He mentioned Lupor but with all the horrible side effects I don't think this is an option I want to try. Is there much luck with birth control pills as a treatment? I am also considering a hysterectomy but leaving the ovaries in. Any advice on treatments and if getting a hysterectomy is basically the only way to get rid of it? What about herbal remedies?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:25 am

You could receive relief with hormone treatment or anti-inflammatory drugs but hysterectomy is the only real cure. The condition does often disappear at menopause but that could be a long wait for you. I am not familiar with any herbal remedies and since these are not regulated by the FDA we have little scientific information on them.