Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Adenomyosis

huberCNA - Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:27 pm

I am a 36 year old female. I am married and have two children. I was diagnosed with adenomyosis yesterday. I am in much pain and the doctor wants me to try birth control pills for one month and then go back for a follow up to see if this worked on my symptoms. He mentioned Lupor but with all the horrible side effects I don't think this is an option I want to try. Is there much luck with birth control pills as a treatment? I am also considering a hysterectomy but leaving the ovaries in. Any advice on treatments and if getting a hysterectomy is basically the only way to get rid of it? What about herbal remedies?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:25 am

User avatar Hello,
You could receive relief with hormone treatment or anti-inflammatory drugs but hysterectomy is the only real cure. The condition does often disappear at menopause but that could be a long wait for you. I am not familiar with any herbal remedies and since these are not regulated by the FDA we have little scientific information on them.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us