Question: irregular periods and pregnancy

marthaluis2009 - Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi Doctor,
I m 29 yrs old, 50 kg and have irregular periods ( around 90 days cycle). My blood test and pelvis ultrasound shows nothing unusual. I am planning for a baby. Please let me know the chances of pregnancy ; the most appropriate time for intercourse.. do I have more than 1 ovulation during the course of 3 months. Plaese advice

regards
Martha
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Chances are you are not ovulating every month and you may wish to use an ovulation predictor kit to monitor your basal body temperature which can help you determine your ovulation. However, if you try for a few months, having regular sexual intercourse and do not become pregnant, you may want to see your doctor for an evaluation of your hormone levels. You could be a candidate for an ovulation stimulation medication such as Clomid.

It is also ideal if you have a preconception visit with a gynecologist to be sure everything is OK with your health overall. You could discuss your concerns and the doctor may have suggestions to help you in your efforts.