Question: Ovarian cysts

Raisa - Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:16 am

Hello.
I am 29 and I have ovarian cysts - the rt. one has already 8.7 cm and several doctors recommended surgery.
I tried a tratment with Logest and Diane 35, and the cysts didn't respond but got larger.
I have sporadic severe abdominal pain and now my rt. leg also hurts.
I never got pregnant, or at least I don't know - my doctor told me that it was possible to be pregnant and lose the baby in the fist month.
I had a six months metrorrhagia 2 years ago - my feeling is that is when the cysts began to develop.
Sincerely, I am scared, and I don't want to accept surgery as this means removal of my ovary. I want to have kids and live a normal life.

Is there any treatment that can stop the cyst evolution?

Thank you,

Raissa
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:16 am

User avatar Laparoscopic surgery is relatively safe and should be done whenever indicated. Some cases may require a laparotomy. Most functional cysts go away on their own. Contraceptive pills help regulate the cycles. Please discuss with your doctor the impact of the procedure on your future fertility.
 Raisa - Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:38 am

A 8.7 cyst may be a functional cyst?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:11 pm

User avatar Usually not. I didn't specify that YOUR cyst was a functional cyst. I was mearly explaining the fact that functional cysts go away by themselves. For that matter, yours obviously didn't. Follicular cysts can last for four to six weeks and grow to 5 to 6 cm in diameter.

A less common type of functional cyst can form in the corpus luteum. Corpus luteum cysts form when the corpus luteum fills with fluid instead of breaking down as it should. Corpus luteum cysts can become larger than follicular cysts and so may cause pelvic discomfort. Usually corpus luteum cysts go away over two or three menstrual cycles, but occasionally bleeding in the cyst can cause a strong abdominal pain similar to that of an ectopic pregnancy.
 lexxy - Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:29 pm

my dr keeps saying mine is from a ovarian cyst but my pain gets so bad i wnt by ambulace it was size of a grapefruit they said.my pain shot up my rectum so bad like my abdoman was spasen out along with my recum and i always have pressure down there even right now im feeling like i need to move my bowels but i don't and sitting on my but creates more pressure so im confused with my obgyn .i think perhaps its endo or ibs ..i might get a lap done ..
 unique2004 - Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:50 pm

Hello i had a cyst on my rt ovary the size of about 8cm i had no idea that i had this. i had contant low back pain almost everyday and found out it was because of this cyst. i had laparscopy surgery march 8th to remove the cyst but there was problems in surgery that he had to remove the rt ovary. i was sad and depressed because i havent had kids yet but he said there was so much scar tissue from a previous surgery that they couldnt even get to the cyst. the ovary was embedded in my wall so they had to remove it.

so what was suppose to be minor ended up being major surgery but he was able to still do everything larascopic which was good, i still went home the same day.

im felling much better go to the doc tommorow for post-op. what i want to know is should i still be having alot of pain if i don't take my pain pills at this late date. sometimes i don't feel like i need the pills and then all of a sudden the pain will come full force and im ment over in pain, i felt today like im having pain in my rt chest area under my breast area is this normal.

been off work since last week and hoping to go back on monday am i pushing myself to soon??
 HeatherCatlady - Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:18 am

Hey there..

I wanted to tell you a little bit about ovarian cysts that I have had in the past. After years of RLQ/pelvic pain, I was diagnosed as having cysts and subsequent adhesions on my right ovary. I had laparoscopic surgery to remove the adhesions and the cysts. The surgery went very well, and I had a speedy recovery. The problem recurred within a year, however. It was the same ovary once again, and repeated cyst formation and rupture had once again left the ovary covered in adhesions. It was decided that removal of the ovary would be the best course of action. I wanted to express to you that even if one ovary is removed, there is still a second ovary to produce eggs. It is still possible to get pregnant after one ovary has been removed as long as there is not a problem with the other. Considering the amount of pain that you are dealing with, and what sounds like involvement in only one ovary, I would probably go with the laparoscopic surgery.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,