Question: Vaginal ph

Pharaoh30 - Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:53 pm

I'm just wondering what, sex wise, can affect vaginal ph. My girlfriend is going to go off her pill for a few months. She wants to make sure her cycle is good to go without the added hormones (just a curiosity as she weighs 97 lbs) and to see just how her body settles. We have discussed this and she would like to refrain from intercourse and oral sex while she does this as she is not quite sure how all that will effect her ph and her cycle. As her boyfriend I obviously don't like the idea of not doing those things with her for two months, but also as her boyfriend I support anything she feels necessary, especially when it comes to her feeling comfortable with her body. Basically I'm wondering if sex, both normal and oral, will negitively affect what she wants to do. Please let me know any info or insight you might have. Thank you in advance!
Dan
 Shelly S, RN - Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:04 pm

Ok Pharaoh, I am a bit confused as to exactly what you are asking. What I am reading is that your girlfriend takes birth control, and she wants to stop the pill to see if her body will maintain a normal menstrual cycle on its own? And she wants an idea of how her body will react and what her cycle will be like?

With the ph though, what does that have to do with the birth control? Yes it is true women have a normal range of ph in the vagina. It changes with puberty, young adulthood, and then with menopause. The numbers of the ph will vary depending on certain factors, and one of the main factors being age.

So if you could please explain what exactly you want to know about the ph/birthcontrol relationship.

Thanks,
Shelly, SN