Question: Unusual Menstruation

myrrhblackblade - Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:59 pm

I'm not sure how to start this but I kind of need some help. I don't know what's going on with me. So here's what's happened so far: My doctor switched me from Ortho Tri Cyclene to the Low version back in, I think, May. It helped with a lot of problems I was having. A couple weeks ago I attempted, for the first time, to skip a period, but 2 days later, I had intercourse with my boyfriend, and I started bleeding afterwards. It went on for a couple days, all the time staying on my birth control. I thought that if I stopped taking it, there would be no chance of stopping the bleeding. It stopped about 5 days after it started and the next day we had intercourse again. That night I started bleeding again. Yesterday it stopped, and I was doing fine until this evening while I was cleaning out my entertainment center and I started bleeding again. I'm really worried about what's going on. Does anyone have any ideas? If it helps, a couple years ago I had about 4 abnormal pap smears in a row, and they never did find out what had caused them. They come out normal now, but the doctor has checked me multiple times for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome because of other problems I've had. Lately I've had a lot of heart problems and the doctor says I have a heart murmur because I have bacteria on my valves, caused by having strep for 3 weeks untreated, and that bacteria is in my blood keeping me sick. I have yet to have any treatment for that. I just thought this information might be of use... anyone have any ideas?

-Jodi
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:07 am

User avatar Dear Jodi,

i am not going to comment on the menstruation part much, but i think that you should contact your primary care provider regarding this bleeding specially if the bleeding that you are experiencing is not just spotting but continuous heavy bleeding.

What do you mean by heart problems?

Regarding the murmur part, i think it is a little of a long shot as new murmurs that arise secondary to an infection of the heart's valves are usually associated with acute dramatic deterioration of the patient with acute heart failure and there is a high mortality rate.

If your doctor suspects that you have infective endocarditis (infection of the heart's valves), you should be admitted to the hopital right away and immediately started on empiric antibiotics in addition to performing some tests like blood cultures to identify the organism causing the infection and then adjust the antibiotics according to the results of the culture and the sensitivity of the identified organism to different antibiotics. An echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) has to be done as well to take a look at how the infected valve was affected by the infection, the function of the heart and most importantly verify the fact that there is indeed vegetations (the bacteial growth) on the valve itself.

i am saying this and of course i am not sure what kind of measures your doctor took to come to this conclusion and what are the treatment options that he offered you and whether or not you agreed to them.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.