Question: Shooting pains in breast.

dniam - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:12 pm

I have had occasional shooting pains in my right breast. Over the past few months it has increased to a few times a week. I'm not sure if I should be concerned. The pains are sharp and last any where from a second to a minute.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:48 am

Please do seek your doctor's advice on this. However, please do check yourself for any kind of lumps in the breast. Traditionally the shooting pain you describe is not a symptom of breast cancer. (however, do have this evaluated).
Painful areas in the breast are not usually breast cancer. Breast cancer normally presents with painless moveable lump areas initially. Most cancers of the breast are also known to occur in the upper outer quadrant of the breast. (the area closest to the shoulder).
Without testing and more evaluation from your doctor, we really cannot give you a solid answer to the cause of the pains.

Best wishes,
Debra Van Ness RN