Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Severe pain with intercourse following surgery

 aac1980 - Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm

I have always had irregularity with my periods, having 2 or 3 heavy periods a month. I was told 10 yrs ago at age 18 I more than likely had endometriosis. I was soon pregnant and later lost health insurance for a while so I wasn't able to get futher evaluation. I have been on several bc pills, the shot, and now Minera iud to help with the bleeding...nothing working. I have recently seen a couple of doctors and am not impressed with any of them. When I saw my current dr, he told me after only about 5 minutes of talking to him - without checking anything - that I didn't have endometriosis and it wasn't causing my problem. He (without a pap, ultrasound, or anything) scheduled me for a d&c and hysteroscopy after I said check me out before going straight to the hysterectomy that he suggested. After I later insisted that I wanted everything including endometriosis checked, he added a diagnostic laproscopy and pap to the procedure. Turns out there was endometriosis and also cysts on my ovary. He removed what he could see and I am to return for a 3 1/2 week checkup to discuss Lupron. I was told I still had my iud for now and could resume intercourse after 3 days. I waited 2 weeks before my husband and I attempted intercourse..this was last night. Firstly I will say I never had alot of pain with intercourse before. But last night it was horrible pain..we had to stop and the pain lasted for quite a while after. I was shaking all over and had nausea with severe cramping pain enough to make my cry and ball up with a death grip on my blanket as I tried to just go to sleep (which I couldn't of course). I have always been told I have a very high pain tollerance...had 2 kids with no epidural, have had kidney stones more than once..the first time of which I continued ALL day chaperoning a field trip for my son's school while in pain. I am not one to make a big deal over pain, but this was horrible. I left a message for my dr and he called me back today saying I may have had an ovarian cyst rupture. I thought he took off all my cysts!!! He says if it was anything to get excited about I would still be hurting, even worse. This just doesn't seem right to me. I live in a small rural area and drive a minimum of an hour away to see an gyn, but can't seem to find one that makes any sense and actually fixes my problems. It seems I have to already know what to demand when I go into an office, as if they can't figure it out themselves. So, I am looking for any advice on what I may need checked to explain this horrible pain.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:31 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm sorry you have had such a struggle with this.

You can continue to develop ovarian cysts so your doctor is not out of line in suggesting this. Even treatment for endometriosis is usually temporary as more develops over time.

I hope this pain will be a temporary condition and that it was due to a cyst. If it continues, you do need to return to a gynecologist. It is important to feel that your doctor is listening to you but you must keep in mind that in some cases the doctor is not able to determine a cause through tests, x-rays, screenings and exams. I wish medicine was at that point but unfortunately it is both art and science - imperfect at that. The fact that you haven't yet been cured does not necessarily mean you are not getting good care. Find someone you are confident about but realize the limitations that come with all humans. You can't judge a good doctor by his or her ability to fix everything.

Good luck with this.
 aac1980 - Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:52 pm

Thank you. However, I do believe I have very good reason to believe my doctor is giving me substandard care. The very fact that I told him I had been told in the past, as well as a very strong family history of endometriosis and he told me point blank I did not have it. This doctor didn't give any tests, not even a pap, before my procedure. He didn't feel the need for the tests and wanted to do a hysterectomy without checking anything out. The ONLY reason he found my endometriosis and cysts is because I DEMANDED the other tests. As a matter of fact, when I finally went back and got him to agree to the tests, he acted as if he had never heard of the possibility and concern of me having endometriosis. When I speak with him, he doesn't even remember what he has done or what we have discussed, even though my file is right in front of him. I should not have to know what is wrong and demand to be tested for that when I see a doctor. That is their figure out what is wrong and treat it. I also know there is no cure for endometriosis and I may eventually have to have a hysterectomy but see no need to rush to that if not necessary. I am only 28 years old...not a young chick but not an old maid either. And now, all of the sudden I have this horrible pain and he doesn't even want me to come in for an office visit. My stomach is still hurting in the uterine area, just nothing like it did the other night. I NEVER make a big deal out of things like this, so for me to even call him let those who know me know that I was REALLY hurting. So, I am not going to just accept his brushoff without researching it myself. If I had done that before my endometriosis and cysts STILL wouldn't have been found and I would be minus some organs.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:07 am

User avatar Hello,
You have serious concerns so I will repeat that you must find a doctor you can trust. Changing providers is perfectly acceptable. I was merely suggesting that his suspicion of a new cyst was plausible. Whenever surgery is involved a second opinion is often a good idea. This should never be done without proper education, preparation and study to be sure the risks and benefits are thoroughly examined and you feel confident this is the right path.

For this reason I would suggest seeing another physician. You should request all medical records to be sent to the consulting doctor so he/she has all the facts that will help in your case without needless repetition of expensive procedures.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us