Question: Starting Period again after using plan b & getting off bc?

jessx3 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Im pretty sure you guys get this question all the time, but with my condition its kind of similar but different at the same time.

I started a new birth control method, Nuva Ring, on march 19 ( first day of my period) and then I felt really dizzy and very emotional so i took it out on my 5th day (also last day ) of my Period. then on the same day I had sex with a condom w/ my boyfriend but it broke. He pulled out right away when it broke, but just to be safe I got plan B and took it an hour later. i followed the instructions and all. After 4 days I started to get this brownish dark red spotting, and then every day it seems like im just going through a light to normal period. Im confused. is this normal ? or is it not? I just got my period and then 4 days later im having it again? and when will it all stop? I feel fine, maybe slight breast soreness, no bloating, just bleeding, and alittle cramps but nothing major. and I went to my docotor, and he said that it looks just like a normal period.

should i be worried about anything?

thanks so much
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:57 pm

I know any menstrual irregularities cause stress but in truth, this is quite normal in most woman at times, especially with hormonal manipulation as with the contraceptives you have used. I would not be alarmed and over the next few months things will probably regulate. Plan B uses a high level of hormone so it can take a few months for your body to get back to normal.