Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Starting Period again after using plan b & getting off bc?

jessx3 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Hello,

Im pretty sure you guys get this question all the time, but with my condition its kind of similar but different at the same time.

I started a new birth control method, Nuva Ring, on march 19 ( first day of my period) and then I felt really dizzy and very emotional so i took it out on my 5th day (also last day ) of my Period. then on the same day I had sex with a condom w/ my boyfriend but it broke. He pulled out right away when it broke, but just to be safe I got plan B and took it an hour later. i followed the instructions and all. After 4 days I started to get this brownish dark red spotting, and then every day it seems like im just going through a light to normal period. Im confused. is this normal ? or is it not? I just got my period and then 4 days later im having it again? and when will it all stop? I feel fine, maybe slight breast soreness, no bloating, just bleeding, and alittle cramps but nothing major. and I went to my docotor, and he said that it looks just like a normal period.

should i be worried about anything?

thanks so much
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
I know any menstrual irregularities cause stress but in truth, this is quite normal in most woman at times, especially with hormonal manipulation as with the contraceptives you have used. I would not be alarmed and over the next few months things will probably regulate. Plan B uses a high level of hormone so it can take a few months for your body to get back to normal.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us