Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: termination + second depo cycle + bleeding after stimulation

ScaredShe - Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi,
I underwent a dilation and curettage in December at my 3 week followup I started Depo-provera and continued to bleed. Which I was told was normal. Since starting the second cycle bleeding has stopped altogether. With one exception, when I experience an orgasm I begin to bleed, soon after I start to have uncomfortable cramping. This usually lasts less than 24 hours.
I am 23 years old and in a committed relationship. I have had only one d&c and I delivered a child in 2003. I do have a history of irregular bleeding, but normally birth control sorted that out. I have recently had an ultrasound as a follow up but have not heard back.
What can be causing this? Should I be worried?
Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:00 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would not be worried. I suspect your body is adjusting hormonally and orgasm does sometimes cause a contraction of the uterine muscles so bleeding happens for some women at times with this. I would give it a while to see if things work out to a more normal pattern. If not, discuss it with your doctor before your next injection.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us