Question: Vaginal stretching after pregnancy

slightlyconcerned - Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:22 am

Hi i;m 29 years old and had a baby just about two years ago. I had a natural delivery, and there was some ripping that had occured. The docotor stitched my vagina back to normal(if thats possible after giving birth lol). Now how long should this last.....I thought it would be good til i had another child but my vagina was tight up until about a month ago then poof not so much anymore. Is this normal, was there somehting i could have done to prevent this? Thanks slightlyconcerned
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun May 24, 2009 12:39 am

I do not know of anything you might have done to prevent changes of this sort. The vagina has an amazing ability to stretch and resume its normal shape and size. It is not typical for you to have a temporary period following repair of the tearing that sometimes occurs in childbirth so I doubt this is what is actually happening.

If you feel something is out of order, you should have an exam by a gynecologist. I'm not sure what type of symptoms you are having that lead you to this conclusion but this is not a typical complaint and the repairs made are not of a temporary nature. Your body is able to heal completely following delivery, as can be attested by millions of women.