Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: menstral cycles

kittysunshine - Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:17 pm

Hello,
I am a concerned mother of my 14 yr. old daughter. She hasn't started her menstral cycle yet. She will be 15 in March. Should i be worried over this? She does get some discharge which has been going on for a tear now but thats it. Her doctor tells me not to worrie but i do.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:28 am

User avatar kittysunshine,
Absence of menstruation is known in medical terms as amenorrhea. Its understandable that you are worried. However, let me reassure you, if your daughter has secondary sexual characteristics like the development of breasts and pubic hair then this means her hormones are working and may need more time, that's all. You need to start worrying if she becomes 16 and still hasn't started her period. On the other hand if she does not have secondary sexual characters yet (at 14 years of age), then she must be investigated for amenorrhea. Did her doctor perform an ultrasound on her?
 kittysunshine - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:26 pm

She is developing but pretty slow. Her doctor never did an ultrasound on her infact she didn't seem to concerned about it.Should i take her to another doctor and see if she should get an ultrasound. She has never had a pelvic exam yet either. Thanks for getting back with me, it helps me not to worrie so much for now anyway.
 fairygirl14 - Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 pm

i cant afford to go to the doctor, but I have had my period for about a month now, it's light, no cramps, not pregnant.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us