Question: Time range for period to return after Depo-Provera?

nykki - Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:13 pm

What is the approximate time for my period to return after stopping Depo Provera? I have been on Depo since March 2007 and missed my injection early January of 2009. I have been waiting for my period to return and it hasn't as of today (April 14). I have had unprotected sex during this time and have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms..ie...breast tenderness, nausea. I have done 2 at home pregnancy tests and they have come out negative. The breast tenderness have lasted up to two weeks. Can i get pregnant without having a period present or is there some other underlying reason why i have not seen a period? Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:18 pm

There is no way of knowing exactly how this hormonal manipulation will affect you. Some women report three months or more without a period. It is also impossible to predict when ovulation will resume but it can happen, including conception, prior to actually having a period so if symptoms persist, you may want to repeat the pregnancy test periodically unless you are not sexually active. The average woman takes 9-10 months to become pregnant following this drug. Symptoms could also result from the change in hormones your body is experiencing with the cessation of the depo.