Question: Biaxin and its affect on Birth Control

scarlettohara - Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:38 pm

HI there,

I had been suffering from a chest cold for about 3 weeks and I have asthma, and a week and a half ago I decided to take Biaxin (which was left over from my last chest cold) 1 250mg pill three days in a row.I stopped taking them because I remembered that Biaxin gives me yeast infections, and that was the last thing I needed. I am also taking Marvelon 28's as my form of birth control. Also please note that I do not take breaks from my Birthcontrol, and take it constantly and do not have a bleed. My doctor is aware of that. I am concerned that the Biaxin has lessen the affectivness of my B/C. My husband and I had sex once 3 days after my last Biaxin pill, and once again today (7 days later). Should I be concerned about pregnancy?

Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:58 pm

I would not expect a problem from this antibiotic. When we first heard reports of antibiotics affecting birth control pills we assumed it meant all antibiotics. In actuality only a couple have proven to be a problem. Rifampin is the primary antibiotic of concern. It is used in treating tuberculosis, but is not used in general infections typically.

I think pregnancy is unlikely with your strict adherence to the pill regimen.