Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: could I be pregnant?

mamacita - Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:11 pm

HI, the past couple of weeks I've been feeling off. I've been pregnant twice before and each was completely different. So I'm wondering if I could be again. I know my PMS symptoms always start about to a couple of days before my period, lately I've been tired, feeling crampy or more discomfort in my uterus area, my breast are tender but not swollen and my viens are not bulging, and their not extremely tender but I do expierence a sharp pain in the right one on the side that shoots to the nipple feeling as though something is expanding (this happened by second pregnancy), I havent been sleeping well, nausous, I eat then feel sick. By period isnt till the 26 of this month, and its worring me a great deal. :?: :?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:05 am

Hi,

The mainstay of diagnosis for pregnancy is a positive pregnancy test.

Certain symptoms and signs are suggestive of pregnancy, but none are diagnostic.
It is important to diagnose pregnancy as promptly as possible when a period is missed in a sexually active woman, so that prenatal care can begin early and potentially harmful activities can be halted. Such activities include smoking (which is admitted in your profile), use of alcohol and harmful medications, and occupational chemical exposure (applicable to you as a hair stylist).

Laboratory and home pregnancy tests are at your disposal if a period is missed but the blood pregnancy test is a more efficient procedure because it is accurate at the time of the missed period.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us