Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: confusing Quantitative HCG levels

dawnandscotts - Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:35 pm

I missed my period and immediately I am to get my HCG levels checked because of my high risk pregnancy status. My first level was 86, 2 days later it was 73, then 2 days following it was 46. This would indicate I lost the pregnacy. However, 1 week after the third test, I had another level tested and it went up to 86. What does this mean? Am I at risk for anything dangerous since this is the weekend and I cannot get a hold of my doctor? Do the HCG levels play a part if a "normal" baby will be preoduced? Can it possibly be that I released another egg and the sperm was camping out? I did have a 5 day bleeing spell where I assumed that my lining was leaving. What do I do?
Thanks,
 alaaelfeky - Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:06 pm

I thougt of answering this question... though it might be too late... I think it is a good question and many people might find the answer useful to them...
The difference between test results can be due to a "real" change in the hormone level... in this case your tests show that the pregnancy was being lost.. and all of a sudden ...things are returning to a seemingly normal state... now if this is true... then the possibility that your pregnancy is not normal is high... as this pattern of fluctuation in the hormone level is usually seen in pregnancies with an abnormal placenta.... and you will need to see your doctor to resolve the condition....
Having said that... the previous situation is not common... :?
the more obvious situation is that the test is being repeated too frequently...at a time where the "accepted" error in measuring a test is more than the "real " difference in level that can be measured... hope i didn't confuse you there... :?
but let us assume that when a test measurement is (10)...and the "accepted error" in the test reading would be (+ or - [2])... 8) the "real" test result is between 8 and 12..... now let us assume that the first test was "really" 8.... the second was "really" 10 and the third was really 12.... the test results reported by the lab can show any sequence of numbers between 8 and 12 and still be "accepted" :shock:
Hope you got the idea :!: :!:
Now hopefully you can tell us now what happened after one month of your confusing tests...may be you could explain it better than me :wink:

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us