Question: Please help, pelvic pain for 3months now!!

NikkyLeClair - Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:10 pm

I could really use some help, I have had fairly bad pelvic pain since the birth of my son in October of 2004. I have had ultrasounds, a biopsy, and an MRI, all of which appear negative, but the pain is so bad it sometimes keeps me up at night. After intercourse, I am in severe pain for 2-3 day. My OB/GYN is stumped, and her nurse is very unhelpful. She basically makes me feel like I am making it up. This pain is totally altering my life. I can't deal with this pain forever, it is very severe when I wear pants w/out elastic waists. I haven't worn jeans in months. Any ideas on what's going on, or other tests that could help.
 alaaelfeky - Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:49 am

Pelvic pain can be very distressing... the possibilities range from pelvic organ displacements...which can happen after childbirth...to pelvic adhesions...which are commen after cesarean deliveries.....
I would not rule out any possibility, but the fact that most your investigations turned out normal makes me think of advising you to have a diagnostic laparoscope procedure... where conditions as adhesions and endometriosis might be discovered and dealt with... Till then a pain killer or a pelvic decongestant may be helpfull
 NikkyLeClair - Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:29 am

First, thank you very much for your reply. My OB/GYN has discussed the option of a laproscopy, but she is hesitant to do one because she admittingly isn't sure what is going on. She put me on Lupron Depot Shot 2 weeks ago, which supposedly would help if endometriosis is the culprit. But since the shot, I have actually been much worse. I have had my period for 15 day now, with small clots. The bleeding at first was so severe, I went through a pad every half hour. Now it has greatly subsided, but the pain on my left side is very severe before I pass even a tiny clot. Any ideas? Do you think my reaction to Lupron is normal, and just tough it out longer? Do you think endometriosis is still an option??? I don't see my OB/GYN for another 3 weeks. I called her 4 days ago to let them know my new symptoms, and they haven't returned my call. Again, thank you for your time.

Nikky, MA
 alaaelfeky - Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:17 pm

I think the response to the shot you took was expected... actually you should have been counselled by your physician about receiving a premedication that might decrease the bleeding caused by the injection....\
Now the only way to justifiy the diagnosis of endometriosis is to have a diagnostic laparoscope procedure.... therapy should never be given emperically without a firm diagnosis, as we are talking 6-9 months of an expensive and tough therapy....
I would demand a second opinion and insist on a proper diagnosis
Meanwhile... a strong analgesic might be very helpful in your case till the diagnosis is confirmed
 NikkyLeClair - Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:54 pm

I went back today, because the left sided pain has caused insomnia. She has pretty much given up. She is referring me to the pain clinic and a GI doc. This is fustrating because I know it's my uterus that is bothering me. It is enlarged to 12 weeks, why would that be if it was a GI problem. She offered to give me a 2nd dose of Lupron today, 2 weeks after the first. I told her I wanted to hold off for a week and see how the pain is. I am going to get my records and seek a second opinion. Thanks again.

Nikky, MA
 alaaelfeky - Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:39 pm

I BACK YOUR DECISION FOR A SECOND OPINION, WHICH IS A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT, AND I REALLY WISH YOU WOULD FIND GOOD CARE AND PROMPT RELEIF FOR YOUR PAIN....
GOOD LUCK
 NikkyLeClair - Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:46 pm

Okay, I got my records today and some lab work results from 2 months ago show abnormal values, but since these were never mentioned to me, I have no idea if they are significant or if they are still considered ok.
MCV-80.5 (range 81-99)
MCH- 26.7 (range 27-31)
RWD- 15.2 (range 11.5-14.5)
% Grans (coulter) 54.1 (range 55-81)
% LYMPHS (coulter) 35.4 (range 20-35)

WBC and RBC normal 6.1 and 4.6 respectively.

All Ultrasounds and MRI's indicate free fluid in cul-de-sac (but I think thats normal) and uterus was homogenously enlarged .

Can you tell me if the labs are okay? These were taken in the ER and apparently the OB/GYN never looked at the results, just the ER doctor.
 alaaelfeky - Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:13 am

Except for the free fluid in the pouch of Douglas and the symmetrically enlarged uterus, the rest of your test results are acceptable, as they fall within the accepted "Range" of normality, however they do indicate a slight anemia, and an iron and folic acid supplement might be useful.
Now the free fluid in the Douglas pouch and the symmetrically enlarged uterus need to be furthur investigated, and are a solid justification for a laporoscopic procedure....
How about the pain and bleeding? have they improved now?
 NikkyLeClair - Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:31 am

The bleeding stopped about 3 weeks after the shot, however the pain is still there. I have resorted to getting my tubes tide just so she will try to find the source of the pain. I know that sounds crazy, but being in pain for 6 months can drive you crazy.

Nikky
 NikkyLeClair - Mon May 23, 2005 12:12 pm

Had my tubal last week, and they found a significant amount of endo. Glad I made them check

Nikky