Question: Does CO2 Lasar photoablation cause scarring on the cervix?

tee29 - Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:53 am

I am a 29 year old female. I was diagnosed with mild dysplasia and had the CO2 laser photoablation porcedure done on my cervix. Does this procedure cause scarring? Will another physician be able to tell that I have had this procedure done?
 Adrianne G, RN - Sun May 24, 2009 3:53 pm

The CO2 Laser photoablation that you have had can cause some mild scarring and cervical changes. A couple of the most common complications with this procedure can include narrowing of the cervical opening and delayed bleeding. Whether another physician can tell if it was done is really irrelevant as you should disclose all procedures to your physician. This will better help them to assist in your care. I hope this information was helpful and I hope that you are feeling better.

Adrianne, RN
 KKBCabales, RN - Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 pm

good day.!
yes, ablation creates scarring in your cervical walls but its complication commonly occurs for 1%. you may observe or experience vaginal spotting or clear discharges in the first few weeks after the treatment was done. this is normal.
it i also necessary that you may inform your physician regarding your surgical or any medical histories including the past illnesses and treatment that you have been through also for the benefit that you may be treated well if there are any alterations that may have occurred.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 26, 2009 11:19 pm

OB/GYN Dr. Vinita Kapoor consulted with me on this question and replied as follows, "O2 Lasar photoablation of cervix is safe and does not cause scarring,Cervical stenosis has not been reported in large studies.Uterine cervix can heal itself very well."

So, whether or not another physician can tell will depend on how well you do heal following such a procedure. No doubt this varies a bit but overall we would expect good recovery without residual scarring.