Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Painful intercourse after pregnancy w/ C-section delivery

 jvcvaughn - Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

I have googled my symptoms and even asked my doctor about this and I think I'm the only person in the world with this problem! After I first got married and got over the initial pain of being a virgin, I enjoyed intercourse. However, since pregnancy, I have pain at the entrance site and sometimes deep. No, I didn't tear because I had C-sections. What's crazy is that if I'm fully aroused it will hurt a little bit, but then goes away and I can enjoy it, although after its over I will feel some burning type pain. But, believe me, if I'm not aroused, it is agony! If I can self-diagnose, I believe that because of my prolapsed uterus that I had during pregnancy and from carrying my babies low that I developed veins in my private area. This is my question: Is there something that can be done to treat these, or will I just have to endure them for the rest of my life? Or maybe it's something totally different? When I asked my OB doctor, she examined me and said I looked "normal" and said just to take our time with foreplay. But I remember being able to have "quickies" and enjoy them during our early married years. Thanks in advance for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun May 24, 2009 1:02 am

User avatar Hello,
Sometimes our bodies change and we have to adapt. It is unrealistic to assume we will always have the same level of sexuality, enjoyment or even orgasms that we once had. You will need to be flexible and adapt to various hormonal changes that occur throughout your lifetime. It may or may not have been because of the delivery that something has been altered with you. It is also possible you have developed vaginismus or even a psychologically caused sexual problem.

I suspect your doctor feels this is something you can overcome with patience and sensitivity as a couple since there is no obvious physiological problem.

If this was related to prolapsed uterus or other physical defect, your doctor would have identified this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us