Question: Is it possible to see an embryo before 6 weeks?

kondau - Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I've already had 2 scans to eliminate the possibility of a second ectopic pregnancy, however on both occassions the embryo was not located. I feel very anxiuos about this. I had my right tube removed 3 years ago. I'm 42 and I havenot been pregnant since. I have tested positve for pregnancy through a home test and a blood test in hospital. I have 2 children, 15 & 14, I would love another child as I'm in a new marriage after my first one ended 10 years ago. Also I was told after my 2nd blood test which was about 35 hours after the first that my BHCG had not gone up as expected. The firt time was 327 and secon was 462. Please can you explain what might be going on to me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 11:41 pm

Usually the first definitive ultrasound of the fetus would be at five weeks. However, there is always the possibility you are not as far along as you think. All you can do now is watchful waiting.