Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal Obstruction/Tightening During Period

 girlysix - Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Hello, Thanks in advance for your help with my question.

During and around my period each month, I have this strange tightening sensation. It feels like there is a hard wall behind the entire upper vaginal area (clitoris, urinary opening, etc) that extends down to the vaginal opening. There is a hard ridge on the upper interior wall of the vagina, that essentially cuts the width of the opening in half. It is not painful in any way, and isn't enough of an obstruction to cause problems with tampon insertion, but it does make intercourse impossible. My husband thinks its a muscle spasm, but it doesn't hurt or get sore. It feels more like a bone to me. Is it possible for the pubic bone to shift down like that during my period? This happens every month starting a day or so before my period and then goes away a day or so after my period ends. Another reason I'm thinking it could be bone related is that my hip joints seem to pop frequently during this time period. This also isn't painful, it feels similar to cracking your knuckles. Do you have any thoughts on what this vaginal tightening issue could be? Do you think it's something I should worry about? Thanks so much!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 26, 2009 6:45 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am not aware of any structural changes associated with a woman's period that would cause the kind of symptoms you describe. There are cervical changes but this is higher up at the end of the vagina and I have not heard of anyone referring to this as "bone-like" so I'm afraid I'm not much help on this. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your gynecologist to coincide with the time just prior to the onset of your period, when you notice this change so the doctor can evaluate any physical condition. Perhaps there is some muscle contraction. Muscles can be very rigid.

At any rate, having the doctor observe this is your best course of action since it is not a common complaint we have heard.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us