Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal Hemeroid

 debfun128 - Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:32 pm

I have had several yeast infections over the past 7 months. I have taken pills and used several different creams. Typically there is an odor but no discharge. Now I notice there is a sack almost like a hemeroid in the entrance to the vaginal canal. It is very large (like an oversized golf ball) and hard and am able to move it around slightly. Is this normal, can this wait until I see my doctor in 3 weeks?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 04, 2009 8:04 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm sure you will be fine to wait for your appointment. It is possible you have a bartholin gland cyst. These are the glands that produce lubrication for the vagina. They can swell and fill with fluid but in some instances pus is produced and they become infected (abscess), causing tenderness and possibly needing an antibiotic. This is a harmless nuisance. Often they disappear with home treatment of warm water soaks or packs but your doctor can also treat it with a simple surgical procedure. Sometimes they recur but often this cures the problem permanently.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us