Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Clitoris Pain

Vanilla73 - Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:07 pm

For the past 6 months I have had pain in the clitoris when I approach orgasm. Instead of being a pleasurable experience, it's a painful one. I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection 6 months ago, my first. Shortly thereafter this problem started. It doesn't hurt while having sex intially, but the more I get aroused and get closer to orgasm that's when the pain starts. After sex there is still some pain not much and it doesn't last long. I have the same problem with oral sex. The pain is the same each time, it is not getting worse or better. I have enjoyed a healthy sex life with my husband for 7 years; this is a problem. Please help. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 20, 2009 6:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
Clitorodynia is considered to be a subset of vulvodynia. It is important that you be checked for any infection or traumatic injury. If there is nothing of that nature, sometimes a physical therapist can help by working with nerves, muscles and trigger points. This is a manual therapy that is done over a period of weeks. Talk to your doctor about a referral for someone who does this.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us