Question: Low Testosterone and conception

nahlers - Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:38 am

I am a 30 year old mother of 2 boys ages 2 1/2 and 11 months. After the birth of our second child, I had my testosterone levels checked because of low sex drive. My levels were 0.3! I tried a cream on my wrists and we upped the levels twice because I didn't notice any change. I started the cream in July of 04 and stayed on it through September.

My doctor suggested I try Avlimil to see if that works. I have been on for about 2 months and don't notice any change yet but will give it some more time. Anyway, we are hoping to try to get pregnant again this fall. I have had NO trouble getting pregnant the last two times and am wondering if low testosterone will change that. Also, what more can I do about the low levels? Is it something I should push with my doctor some more. I'm so frustrated I've just given up and my husband and I compromise. He doesn't get sex as much as he'd like, and I do it whether I want to or not. I'm too young for this and want it to change, but also am worried about it hindering conception.

Please help!

Thanks!!!!
 hollyndays - Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:13 pm

Hello Ms. Nahlers:
Perhaps by now you're feeling better. I hope so.
I'm always interested and empathic when I hear women having difficulties that may be related to hormones--I am myself recently post-menopausal, and I can see where being only 30 and having these difficulties is distressing for you.

There are so many things that can affect our libido (sex drive), and hormone levels, and the various sex and other hormones (eg. thyroid) all act with and on one another to create balance in normal healthy folks. You must have a very busy existence there with your two youngsters, and though it may not be your situation, it is not uncommon for mothers to feel as you do just from the stress involved in managing a a busy young family!

And, there are so many things I would want to know about you in order to help: As a nurse, and if we were one-on-one doing an assessment I'd ask you all about your lifestyle, stresses, anxiety, depression, leisure/work habits. I'd want to know if you're taking birth control pills and/or medications; are you breastfeeding your son; are you over/under weight; and much more of your health history and so on. I'd want to know if this occurred after your first childbirth. And so on.

I would not think your difficulty could be diagnosed and treated with just obtaining a testoserone level and taking creams and OTC remedies. You might take a look through the website I've linked here -- I just found it by Google searching on matters relating to your problem. Very good information on hormones.

** http://www.jeanhailes.org.au/default.htm

** LISTENING TO YOUR HORMONES, by Gillian Ford, was a marvelously informative and helpful book for me, also.

You may wish to have a more thorough workup by your current doctor, or an endocrinologist, or gyn who is sympathetic to focuses more precisely on hormonal relationship to women's wellbeing. as well as to answer your questions about fertility.

I hope I may have helped you if you're still suffering.

Holly