Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: progesterone tablets / injections during 1st trimester

ruthieb11 - Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi, i am living abroad so had to go private when i discovered i was pregnant, when i saw doctor he gave me ultra sound and confirmed 5 weeks pregnant and also found a slightly larger than normal cyst on one ovary. he told me this could be a sign the pregnancy needs support and prescribed once weekly progesterone injections and 2 x 100 mg utrogestan daily. i have had no bleeding and he did not test my progesterone levels. i am worried that the progesterone will affect my unborn child and not sure that i really need this but also worry if it could cause problems if i was to stop taking them. i have a very physical job and the tablets make me feel ill where i felt very well before i began to take them. hope you can help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 6:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
The progesterone should not be a problem at all and may make the difference between miscarriage and carrying successfully. Progesterone is necessary to sustain the pregnancy until the placenta produces it on its own a little later. Some women who have experienced a loss have been successful with this extra hormone boost.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us