Question: Bleeding during ovulation

trans - Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:46 pm

I observed last month that during my ovulation I had some bleeding with it. The blood was dark and thick sort off. I know its not abnormal to have spotting during ovulation but this was more than usual that I had to wear a sanitary pad for like three days. The bleeding was slight, thick like normal ovulation discharge and dark red but not enough to soak a sanitory towel even in a whole day.

Im ovulating this month again and Im experiencing the same thing. I have not had any sexual intercourse for over 8 months neither am I married and have never been pregnant. I don't understand what is going on. Please, help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 5:25 pm

There are several possible causes for mid-cycle bleeding including the estrogen surge that happens just before ovulation or just the fluctuation that occurs normally with your body's hormones. Usually the bleeding is mild and not too heavy. Other causes include birth control pill use with breakthrough bleeding, fibroid tumors (non-cancerous) and polyps. Infections and low thyroid function can also cause bleeding so it's best to have it checked out. Chances are it's the simple ovulatory bleeding but if it continues you should be certain.