Question: Fishy odor after consuming seafood?

becbee - Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:15 am

I'm sure this isn't "normal" but can anyone explain why a woman may experience a fishy vaginal odor after eating seafood? This has only started in the last 2 years. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 2:26 pm

A fishy vaginal odor usually means an infection such as vaginal bacteriosis. I have not heard of it being associated with consuming fish. I would suggest you have it checked to be certain you do not have infection. If not, and this continues, do an experiment NOT eating fish for a while to see if it ever happens in the absence of this diet. Every person is unique so I can't say it's impossible.

becbee - Sun May 03, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks for the answer. This only does happen within a few hours of eating seafood and is gone by the following day. It doesn't occur any other time other then the described. I have seen many others complain of the same symptom on the internet but always seem to get the same answer you have given. There must be some kind of explination for this but thanks for your help.